101 Things in 1001 Days
The Original Project
The Mission: Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.
The Criteria: Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).
Why 1001 Days? Many people have created lists in the past – frequently simple goals such as New Year’s resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organising and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.
Official Start Date: 1/1/11
Official End Date: 9/28/13
It’s been 1166 days 14 hours so far. Time’s up!
- Not yet started
- In progress
Health and Physical
1. Lose 10lbs. (Completed 3/14/11)
2. Lose 20lbs (total). (Completed 11/18/2011!)
3. Lose 30lbs (total). (Completed 2/13/2012!)
4. Lose 40lbs (total). (Completed 7/12/2012!!)
5. Visit the dentist and get my chipped tooth capped.
6. Use a good brand of teeth whitening strips and finish the pack as directed, or get them whitened professionally.
7. Work out for 10 minutes with my D-shaped dumbbells once a day for 14 days. (0/14)
8. Do 5 sets of 10 crunches every night for 14 days. (0/14).
9. Get a professional massage.
10. Drink 3 full glasses of water for 14 consecutive days. (14/14) - It’s habit now, yay!
11. Research LASIK and learn more about it as an option. (This will be hard, with my eye phobia stuff.)
Home Life and Organization
12. Take pictures of every item of clothing I own (so I can see it all at once on the computer for perspective).
13. Make my closet truly accessible by getting rid of things I really won’t miss.
14. Find all our VHS and cassette tapes, convert to digital if the content is special, and destroy/recycle/donate.
15. Make 5 multi-bag trips to the Salvation Army, Goodwill, or other donation spot. (4/5)
16. Make it to 5 Really Really Free Market events. (3/5)
17. Go through family photo albums and scan at least 5 full albums into digital archives. (0/5).
18. Print more recent photos of myself and family for my grandparents.
19. Go through ALL of my existing photo files, sort them, delete the crap, and rename them with better naming conventions.
20. Upload best photos & albums to Flickr. (Works along with #19)
21. Unsubscribe to Photobucket, delete old/unnecessary albums, and take care of as many broken links as possible.
22. Find all my backup CDs & DVDs and consolidate everything into new backups. Destroy old disks.
23. Release 10 books via BookCrossing or something similar. (0/10)
24. Load my CDs onto iTunes and get rid of them.
25. Paint my room something not so girly.
26. Rehang all the pictures on my wall so it’s not cluttered-looking.
27. Rehang my cork/whiteboard somewhere more reachable so I can use it more often. (Completed 01/2011)
28. Go through my Delicious bookmarks and move over the useful stuff to Diigo. (This’ll take a while.)
Projects and Creativity
29. Complete 100 Snapshots. Progress page is here.
30. Complete Project 365. Progress page is here. (Completed 12/2011)
31. Restore 10 of my grandparents’ old photographs. (0/10)
32. Finish 3 scrapbook pages. (0/3)
33. Create 2 collages from my pile of magazine word clippings. (0/2)
34. Sew (either hand or machine) a project using the fabric pieces in my closet.
35. MAKE presents for people for the 2012 holiday season.
36. Mail 10 secrets to PostSecret. (0/10)
37. Create 10 brandable logos. (3/10)
38. Create 10 crossword puzzles. (2/10)
39. Write a haiku each day for a week that sums up or reflects upon the day. (0/7)
40. Write 5 non-haiku poems. (0/5)
41. Get my Yelp review count up to 300.
42. Post (at least) 3 book reviews on Goodreads. (1/3)
43. Recode my portfolio website so it’s less spacially-limiting, and see if I can recreate it in WordPress.
44. Scan all my unfinished doodles and sketch ideas from high school so I have an ‘idea’ folder of my own stuff.
45. Donate 10,000 grains on Free Rice. Progress here.
46. Identify 101 things that make me happy (besides money). List here.
47. Figure out and create a costume for Halloween 2012.
48. Make 5 new significant friends (people I continue to keep in touch with) from scratch. (4/5) [A, B, P, A, and A]
49. Refresh 3 faded friendships, and make them stronger than ever. (3/3) [T, A, and J]
50. Make it to 3 LGBT Meetup.com events. (2/3)
51. Throw myself a birthday party someplace other than the usual bar. (Completed 10/9/2011)
52. Organize 2 themed movie nights or parties with friends. (0/2)
53. Call or email 3 non-immediate family members to bring them up to speed and ask how they’re doing one-on-one. (1/3)
54. Go to 3 movies with my family. (3/3)
55. Surprise 5 long distance friends with a care package. (1/5)
56. Write catch-up emails to 5 friends I’m out of touch with. (1/5)
57. Write someone a thank-you letter, but not for a present (e.g., old teacher, author of a book I read).
58. Call 3 friends on the phone that I haven’t spoken to in a while to ask how they are. (1/3)
59. Go on 3 dates with specific destination goals (i.e. not involving walking around aimlessly). (3/3)
Activities and Experiences
60. Start biking again.
61. Try 5 new foods/cuisines. (4/5)
62. Go fishing.
63. Go camping.
64. Go back to the Bodies Exhibit. (Completed 11/04/2011)
65. Model for a life drawing class.
66. Volunteer 5 different times. (0/5)
67. Walk for a cause.
68. Go see Shakespeare in the Park or New York Classical Theater. (Completed 07/13/2011)
69. Go to an orchestra concert, opera, or ballet. (Completed 12/2011)
70. Visit 5 major Art Museums I’ve never been to. (1/5)
71. Visit 10 minor art galleries. (10/10) (Completed 11/2011)
72. See 10 sunrises (10/10), and 10 sunsets (10/10).
73. Go to another country.
74. Visit 2 states I’ve never been to. (Washington so far!)
75. Visit Melissa in Texas.
76. Visit family in Oregon. (Completed 08/2011)
77. Visit family and Dave in Australia.
Things To Learn
78. Learn basic Sign Language.
79. Learn the Russian alphabet and phonetics.
80. Relearn Yoga.
81. Relearn calligraphy.
82. Learn to knit.
83. Teach myself how to use Excel properly.
84. Get my drivers license.
Career and Financial
85. Figure out the field I want to go into for a gainful career.
86. Take serious steps toward making that happen. (Starting grad school, revamping my resume, internships.)
87. Get an in-house job in that field that lasts at least 5 months.
88. Save up for a really good tablet.
89. Buy a Wii Fit. (Completed 1/2011)
90. Find bed garters that actually work and/or a new mattress cover. (Completed 1/2011)
91. Get a new iPhone. (Completed 9/2011)
92. Reorganize my RSS feed list, add friends’ blogs, and read them. (Completed 1/2011)
93. Read 12 classic books.
94. Read 20 non-classic books. (Overall book list here.)
95. Read the reading materials I made a point to save from college, then recycle them.
96. Watch 10 documentaries. (2/10)
97. Watch 10 foreign films. (10/10)
98. Watch whatever I haven’t seen of the Top 100 Films of All Time.
99. Watch 101 movies I haven’t seen. List here.
100. Put aside at least $1 every day in a box for the length of this project. (Not really remembering to do this.)
101. Give $2 to a charity (or buy simple meals to give to various homeless people) for every failed or incomplete goal at the end of 1001 days.